Travel Health FAQ
When are travel vaccines needed?
- Study Abroad
- Mission Trips
What should I do when planning an international trip?
- Begin planning as soon as possible, some immunization series take up to six months to complete
- Schedule an appointment with our travel health clinic immediately
- Plan to travel with extra prescription medications and copies of your prescriptions
- Carry a copy of your personal health history with you in case of any emergency
What information will you provide me?
We will provide you with information regarding the prevention of illness and diseases such as:
- Traveler's diarrhea
- Food and waterborne illness
- Disease carrying insects
- Altitude sickness
- Other non-vaccine preventable diseases
- Malaria counseling
- Personal safety
- First aid
- Jet lag
- Health information to have on hand while traveling
- What information should I bring to my appointment?
Please bring your complete travel itinerary and your immunization records from your primary care physician.
What vaccinations are available?
- Hepatitis A and B
- Japanese Encephalitis
Found in rural China, Korea, Southeast Asia, and India.
- Meningococcal Meningitis
Occurs in sub-Saharan Africa, Saudi Arabia and India. Required for entry into certain countries.
Polio is found worldwide. It is a crippling and potentially deadly infectious disease caused by the poliovirus. It spreads from person to person and can invade an infected person’s brain and spinal cord.
Found in Asia, India, Africa, Central and South America.
- Typhoid Fever
Occurs in many countries including Mexico, Africa, Asia, India, Central and South America.
- Varicella (Chicken Pox)
Chickenpox is caused by the varicella-zoster virus (VZV). It is a very contagious disease that causes a blister-like rash, itching, tiredness, and fever. Chicken Pox is found worldwide.
- Yellow Fever
Required for entry into certain countries. Occurs in tropical and subtropical regions of Africa and South America.
(Great Lakes Physician Services Occupational Health is an authorized yellow fever vaccine center)
** At this time, GLPS does not have the Yellow Fever Vaccine or the Yellow Fever Substitute. The only supplier of the Yellow Fever Vaccine has announced that there is a shortage due to production issues. When the Yellow Fever Vaccine becomes available, we will update our website.**